Sunday, October 10, 2010

Entertaining and smoking..friends and family

                 A beautiful woman in Sarlat, smoking in 2006(photo Louise Percy)

Today is an auspicious day. It’s the 10th of the 10th of 2010…lots of tens. And when I was growing up, the total of 10 was the number to which we all aspired.

Today I have had two major “10’s” I had a wonderful chat with my daughter who lives in Sydney and has chosen to be like me in the “hostess ”stakes…except she is also a very hard working lawyer and I don’t know how she finds the time. But she does, and she and her partner have wonderful dinner parties, even on Friday evenings, and when I ask her how she manages she replies “Mumma you taught me”.
 So that’s a "10" I think.

The other “10” is that I have stopped smoking. I stopped 23 years ago when I was pregnant with my son. And 4 years ago, in a time of renewal and love, I started again, and little by little the smoking became more bad influence than a joy in new discovery.

Last night I  hosted a dinner party for friends and family. They don’t smoke at all, never have, never will. So I decided that I will give my daughter and son the benefit of a mother who challenges life on all levels.. .but not the nicotine one. …please pass the champagne...

2 comments:

  1. Excellent decision. Alcohol or nicotine are fake friends when they become too invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Damo. Yes, I wish to enjoy life to the full and everything else in moderation

    ReplyDelete