Skip to main content

Labuan Bajo and the Gold Coast...different worlds...

(View from Bintang Flores Hotel)

A mere three weeks ago I was on the remote eastern Indonesian island of Flores, staying in a comfortable 4-star hotel in Labuan Bajo, the Bintang Flores, which overlooked a “squatters” camp which had
no fresh water or electricity but which shared the view over the sea. The children played happily.

Today I am a world away on the glitzy and glamorous Gold Coast of Australia visiting friends. And while I enjoy a view over a scenic canal bordered by luxurious mansions my mind returns to beautiful Flores and a world filled with gentle people who need little in life but their families, their health and a few rupiah to buy rice for their bowls.

It is difficult not to be cynical when I compare these two very diverse worlds. But I actually feel more lucky because I am content in both. When I first arrived at Labuan Bajo I found the poverty confronting. The streets, where they were paved, were dirty and filled with rubbish which nestled in amongst drying fish, covered in flies, and tired fresh vegetables and fruits wilting in the sun. The stench of fish was oppressive. The fishing village of approximately 12,000 people was the poorest environment I had every encountered.

The Squatters Camp

I was on Flores with my companion, Damien, to visit the Komodo National Park. It is a UNESCO heritage site which apart from the unique Komodo dragons is filled with a marine wonderland, the likes of which I have never seen before. The snorkeling opportunities were boundless. We were able to go out with our German dive master and other divers and snorklers four times. During the days in between we jumped on a motorbike and explored Labuan Bajo and surrounds. And slowly, but surely, my eyes and my mind became more accustomed to the sights and smells. My “cultural compass” found its bearings.

After a couple of days I found myself waving to the little children who called out a raucous “hello” to me as I passed. We all laughed together and shared our delight when the sun peeped out from the heavy rain clouds which typify this region during the “wet” season.

And I also found myself wanting to visit the markets with the dying fruit and vegetables as the innate “foodie” in me longed to find out which spices complemented which fish and rice dish. We had massages at a centre for sight and hearing impaired people…the most wonderful massage for me by a girl with no hearing but the broadest smile and shining eyes who recognized me with a wave whenever our paths crossed in the village.


Labuan Bajo village, from the motorbike

After our nine days we farewelled our gentle hotel staff and made our way to the little airport. To our initial horror we found that we would not be flying as our local airline had gone bankrupt that morning! So after making arrangements to fly with another airline the following day we returned to our hotel, checked that all was as we had sadly left it two hours earlier – the familiar “squatters” camp, the stunning ocean views – and settled down very happily for another day in a poor, but particularly perfect, paradise.

A bankrupted airline?

Comments

  1. In the eighties, when I was visiting Tunesia I was confronted with a similar phenomenon. The beach of the hotel where I was staying had barbed wire on both sides, seperating it from the 'popular' beaches reserved for the local population. The contrast between both worlds was mindshaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While in Bali I also stayed at Jimbaran Bay and, as opposed to your experience, I was able to swim at the beautiful beach with the "locals".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent