Skip to main content

A New Year, Wild Birds, Manners and Good Wishes....

The galahs, following a pecking order for feeding at the clam shell (photo the author)

Another year is about to begin.  I am glad to be leaving this one behind. Despite some wonderful opportunities and experiences in the earlier part of the year, such as travel through the North Cook Islands in the South Pacific, even on the ghastly SV Discovery South Pacific Expedition; and a lovely trip to France where I could practice my French language skills and indulge in the wonder of the markets, little towns and the landscapes of Brittany, the last quarter was one of sadness.

"Is it your turn or mine to eat now?" (photo the author)

But my own situation was rendered insignificant by the terrible suffering of people throughout the world this year; the violent impact of Mother Nature when she is angry; the fear of the persecuted; the anxiety about economic meltdown around the globe;  in Australia the devastation of bushfires and floods; and for two of my acquaintances the loss of children in tragic road accidents.

"Ok, if you feed me I will stop making so much noise!" (photo the author) 

I have recently enjoyed a few days at my beach house.  I feed the local wild birds…the galahs, or as we refer to them here “the pink and greys”. They are cheeky, and unfussed by my presence nearby on the verandah.  Their freedom, their manners, a very obvious “pecking order” at the feedbowl which is the clam shell, intrigue me and gave my guests and me enormous amusement. 


This week I was also introduced to the band Elbow. I hope you enjoy this clip of their song “One Day Like This” with the BBC Concert Orchestra. It's about having a beautiful day.

 Happy New Year. I hope 2012 brings happiness, love, laughter and serenity to your lives.

Comments

  1. Happy New Year to you Louise, your daughter and your loved ones!! I guess it's almost/already (?) 2012 in Australia. We still have another 12.15 hours of 2011 to go. And it's a rainy and dreary day; the kind you wished it were over already. Martine

    P.S. Love the bird. They really look like great fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind thoughts Martine. To you and yours I wish a wonderful New Year and a 2012 which fulfills your expectations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent