Skip to main content

Family...and Celebrating Life...


The Birthday Invitation

It has been a frantic family week with a birthday party, an engagement and a funeral.

Last weekend I hosted my daughter's 30th birthday celebrations.  She and her partner flew in from Sydney to Perth for the long weekend, to catch up with our family and her friends, and to party on Saturday night.  The theme of the party was  taken from the invitation which she sent...Art Deco'ish in style. I researched about the music, cocktails, food and floral arrangements of the period...it was great fun, and quite enlightening.

The color theme of the period was typically black, white, silver and red so those colours featured in the table linen, the vases, and the flowers.

A decorated table
The cocktails were made by my son from lists of typical cocktails...and he chose The Brooklyn and The Sidecar.  They were delicious but lethally alcoholic and so I restricted myself to one cocktail and then enjoyed the French champagne provided by my daughter's father.

The Buffet table
Researching the recipes and making the food was my pleasurable task.  As finger food after the guests'arrival I served vol au vents, filled with either a smoked oyster or asparagus sauce and tiny bite sized onion tartlets.    I read that the Americans of the East coast in the Art Deco period loved all things French, so I had something in common with them! The fork food included Coq au Vin, Seafood Thermidor (again the French influence), natural oysters, Oysters Rockefeller (with a spinach, parmesan and breakcrumb topping), Caesar Salad and rare Roast Beef with a mushroom sauce.

The birthday girl with her croquembouche "Where do I start?!"

I chose to have a croquembouche made as the birthday cake.  I decorated the base of the magnificent structure with iceberg roses from my garden.  It was decadent and delicious!

But the most exciting moment of the evening was actually early in the party.  Before I invited the guests to enjoy the buffet, my daughter and her partner announced their engagement!  What a double celebration!

The happy couple

The other family news I received was that my "other father", the head of a family which has supported me since I was a little girl, had died.  And so, as my daughter flew back to Sydney on Monday, while I would normally feel miserable and indulge in a champagne with  friends to cheer up after her departure, I was instead able to say "see you tomorrow".  After putting the house back in order I flew to Sydney to stay with my daughter and her partner and attend the funeral on Wednesday.

Mr M was a remarkable man.  He was humble, but extremely successful;  a gentleman and devoted family man with seven children.  All of the children, grandchildren and even a couple of great grandchildren took part in the Mass to celebrate his life. His widow, also a remarkable woman, was elegant in her dignified sorrow throughout the day.

Typical flowers of the '30s...calla lillies, peonies and antheriums, complemented by Australiann silver gum leaves
And so it has been a week of reflection...the happiness of my family in our celebrations and the sadness of a family losing it's patriarch.  It reminded me that, indeed, life is a flowing process....


Comments

  1. Dear Louise, Sorry to read about your loss. Although it is part of life, it's always distressing to see the people who used to take care of us disappearing from our lives.
    Congratulations on your daughter's engagement. She and her financee make a very beautiful and handsome couple. As for the crocquembouche; did you make that yourself? Woaw!!! You could be in Masterchef Australia, even without lifting a finger :) Martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiness tinged with sadness, the meaning of life and death. However life goes on and we make of it what we can.

    The party you gave for your daughter sounds fantastic and the food delicious. Did you make the croquembouche yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martine and Gaynor, thank you for your comments...Monsieur Martineau made the croquembouche for me...he is French/Swiss and was most specific! We worked together on the decoration, sometimes disagreeing in the most perfect way! Thank you both for your kind thoughts....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent