Skip to main content

Australia...the Census...and ongoing Manners

You Have to Be Taught...
“You've got to be taught to hate and fear, 
You've got to be taught from year to year,
 It's got to be drummed In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.
You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made
 And people whose skin is a different shade
You've got to be carefully taught.
You've got to be taught before it's too late
 Before you are six or seven or eight
To hate all the people your relatives hate
You've got to be carefully taught”


(Rogers and Hammerstein)

I wrote about immigration in Australia and The White Australia Policy  recently and it has been interesting to receive feedback...and to reread my emails following the Census release this week.

When I was a child of 7 my father, as an exchange naval officer, attended Fort Queenscliff Army Staff College.  It was a magicial time.  One of open eyes for a young child, with people from around the globe teaching my sister and me how to play the piano; and how to  eat food correctly with rice with our fingers ("Aunty Nanna" from Ceylon...now Sri Lanka),  General "Sherry" with the turban ( a Sikh general in the Indian Army) on  how to make, and eat curry for breakfast, and a general from Pakistan (who taught me about music).  Only a few years later the generals from India and Pakistan were to kill each other in a war;  and the Indonesian general who gave me a Christmas present of shorts with a matching top, would engage wtih my father in a military "stand off" between Australia and Indonesia over a situation regarding Malaysia...my father and he recognised each other and engaged in polite diplomacy.

I remember as an older child being more interested than my peers in children from other cultures who were joining our school communities.  The Italians with their "smelly salami" sandwiches, the Greeks with their equally smelly lunches...and them being astonished about our Australian white bread sandwiches with cheese and Vegemite.


 In 1980 I married my childrens' father (an Italian-Australian)...he was born in Australia, his father was born in Australia at the turn of the last century but then returned with his family to Italy;  prior to the outbreak of the Abyssinian War,  being a clerk in the  council of his region he received advanced notice of the "call up" for the war and left the country for Switzerland.  He subsequently arrived in Australia, accepted University placement and then in 1939, with the outbreak of war from Australia's perspective, he was "interned as an alien" on Rottnest Island, despite having being born here. 



A coincidental story, related by my mother, told how the Vienna Boy's Choir was on tour in Western Australia during that period..and  that some of the younger members of the choir were billeted with her family in Kalgoorlie prior to their deportment.  She was always incredulous about the politics of this situation.


These stories  would be considered normal in Europe.  My childrens' Italian grandmother was born in Italy.  After she was conceived her father left for Australia to try and find a new life for his family...this was 1923.  Nonna arrived in Australia when she was three...she never again lived in Italy. But she remained "Italian" until the day she died...


During the past ten years I have conducted  business in Asia. In  Singapore for some years;  and later as a result of partnerships in Hong Kong and China; I have also had the opportunity over the past few years  to live for periods of time in Europe. My experiences have opened my eyes to the differences in culture being nothing more than wonderful opportunities to appreciate, with respect, other people .

The recent Census reviewing Australia has some interesting points of view.  Bernard Salt in The Australian has, I think, very sensibly divided us into five tribes. The editorial in the same newspaper quotes that "of the 22.3 million Australian, 24.6 percent were born overseas and 43.1 percent have a parent born overseas".

I was taught by my parents to develop friendships with people....not opportunities.  A perspective which respected  peoples' values, cultures and differences. I am grateful to them and their advice which  encouraged me to be "a world citizen".  And I choose to pass that perspective  on to my children...

Comments

  1. Louise, Like you, I've always enjoyed contacts with people from different countries and cultures. That is, as long as there is mutual respect. Unfortunately, many of the immigrants we get nowadays - mainly from Northern Africa and Eastern Europe - don't show that respect towards the country that is taking them in. Slowly but surely we are becoming strangers in our own country. In a way I'm glad not to have any children, because - considering what is happening today - I'm dreading what the future has in store for us. Martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martine, yes I am sorry to say that I have noticed the lack of respect from the new arrivals in France, Belgium and Switzerland when I have visited over the past few years. Fortunately we do not seem to have that problem as much here, but with the increasing immigration rates I hope that our government will continue to encourage the immigrants, who can be so wonderfully beneficial to a country's development, to integrate into our Australian society...with respect for our values and culture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent