Skip to main content

Food, Fun and Sisters…


A popular French style shop in Perth


My sister and I had a great day on Friday.  We went to the Perth Good Food and Wine Show…a showcase of the best of Australian produce, wine, products and celebrity cooks.
We took the bus into the city…or the Green Mercedes as she calls it!  I rarely use public transport here in Perth, but with the skyrocketing price of parking because of the overall lack of parking spaces it was an obvious solution.  And a great opportunity for one of my favourite past times, people watching.

$5.00 Australian = $5.12 US &  €4.20. Not cheap!!
The show was well patronised, even on a Friday.  It is school holiday time here and so there were families as well as foodies like us.After tasting some wonderful local olive oils and vinegars we felt ready to start sampling the wines.  After buying tasting glasses which could hang around our necks we headed to the Barossa Valley, South Australian wine stand to start with Australian sparkling wine…a great choice at Grant Burge.

My sister signing up to receive "special offers"
From there we became more adventurous and sampled some Keglevich Vodka and Pesca mix which was accompanied by Prosecco to make a Bellini cocktail. Lovely, refreshing but I’m sure very alcoholic.

And then it was time to join a Celebrity Chef Masterclass with Manu Feildel from L’Etoile restaurant in Paddington, Sydney.  I have dined there with my daughter and her fiance and after enjoying a stunning meal I then shared a conversation with Manu after the meal while we had a cigarette.  Oh, the good old days before I became a nicotine free zone! Manu was hilarious in the Masterclass.  He played up all the clichés about being a Frenchman…the sexiness, the accent, the joie de vivre – all of which I found very amusing having recently come out of a five year relationship with a Frenchman.  And he cooked a lovely meal and I was able to take away some tips even from his simple Coq au Vin recipe.

Manu in action...
Then it was back to the wine and food tasting…some lovely Rosé wine from Western Australia, South Australia and the Hunter Valley in New South Wales;  and an absolutely beautiful salt infused with truffle.  I have already tried it with a chicken dish I cooked yesterday – c’est magnifique!

Western Australian truffles...most of which are exported to France!
After some tasting of Asian inspired dishes we headed back to the Celebrity Chef theatre to watch the presentation by Ainsley Harriott, the English chef.  He too was hilarious and called up from the audience a gentleman in his late 60s named Mike, who was a great sport and joined into the spirit of the event.  It was great fun although I felt the recipes could have been more imaginative…fish cakes and chicken on puy lentils were not inspiring for me.

Ainsley and Mike...
There are always "characters" at these shows, and these men were no exception.  They were showcasing a machine which can hold 3 litres of any sort of drinks, chilled, on tap.

"Characters"...make the world a better place!

Also, this woman exhibiting a new style of vegetable peeler made me laugh when I saw her standing on top of an "esky cooler" in her Australian Ugg boots.

It was cold in the exhibition hall...Ugg boots required!
After buying a trolley on wheels between us it was time to go on a shopping spree.  Salt, aged balsamic vinegar and fruity extra virgin olive oil for me, with a few wines as well;  and kitchen gadgets, wines, and other produce for my sister.  We then staggered out with all our “goodies” to find a taxi.

Additions for the pantry...Australian bush tucker salad dressing, Maggie Beer apricot paste, Verjuice and Tomato Sauce, Whittington's truffle salt, Keglevich Bellini mix and  Pukara Estate  balsamic vinegar 
All in all a great day. Especially the many laughs my sister and I shared.
I am a great lover of shows and expos.  Some years ago I regularly visited fashion expos in Hong Kong and the United States with my girlfriend and business partner, Christine, when we had a fashion manufacturing and wholesale business..  Exhausting days but they were always a great incentive for creative inspiration. As was this expo.  I returned home keen to try my new products…and spoil my family and friends with my experiments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent