Skip to main content

Sex…Manners…and Fifty Shades of Grey…



The trilogy of erotic books which started with the e-book  “Fifty Shades of Grey”. has resulted, apparently around the world, in increased adult shop sales of sex toys and  in an extraordinary amount of internet “chat” about the relevance of the manners involved in “modern” sexual practices. 

Certainly I have had more than the average number of emails requesting advice about the manners involved in intimate relationships, and the boundaries which can be crossed, or not crossed…and how to discuss those boundaries politely.

I respond that I am not in the business of sexual advice, but etiquette and manners.   But I can offer a few words of common sense, I hope, which will assist when people are responding to requests in their intimate lives which are possibly uncomfortable.

The most important premise is to be true to yourself.  When love “is the hero in the story, one’s intuition can be placed under general anaesthetic”  as a Swiss friend wrote to me…and while I am sure the expression would be more elegant in her French language, the meaning is clear.

When, whether in love or not, you share yourself intimately with another person, you are exposing your deepest self, for good or bad reasons…it is all personal.  Perhaps that is the part of you which requires sexual exploration?  Perhaps it is the part of you which requires sexual intimacy?  Perhaps it is the part of you which doesn’t know what you require?…

And as you would request the other partner in this intimacy to respect you, so you should respect them.  In the early stages of intimacy, if love is involved,  we often regard trust as a given; is that not what moving to that level of intimacy infers?  So often when love is the “hero of the story” we can be reticent about communicating our needs, wants, expectations and limitations… we wonder, how will these comments be received? Perhaps I will just go with the flow and see what happens?…

Being able to say “no” and being respected for it is an intrinsic level of truthful communication. I have been contacted by many people recently who ask…”How do I say no?” …when being asked to engage in sexual activity which is outside their comfort zone.

If you are comfortable with the other person in your intimate relationship, and able to speak with them about your mutual sexual needs and wants  and your ability to explore the boundaries of your intimacy,  then respect and trust, I would suggest, are already in place. 

If you feel the need to defend yourself by saying "I am not comfortable with that and I know you
want me to try it but I can’t”  and there is insistence from the other partner then I would suggest that 
you reevaluate  the level of empathy, respect and  trust in the relationship.

So where is the place of etiquette in all of this sexual chat?  Good manners, in all we do, whether in the boardroom or the bedroom is about having respect for other people. It is simple…talk honestly, relate, empathise,  share and care…

Comments

  1. One should never - never - allow/accept things one doesn't feel comfortable with, just to please. Partners who don't accept a 'no' are just not worth your while. Real love is based on mutual respect. That's my motto!
    P.S. Be careful, the title of your post may attract a lot of unwanted(and unrespectful)'readers'. Martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martine, I so agree with you! And I will monitor my "traffic"...thanks for your advice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent