Skip to main content

Digital Manners Required...


My phone/camera is always with me...

Christmas is over, and New Year celebrations are pending. Like thousands of people, I have taken tens of photos over the Festive Season so far, some with my iPhone and others with my camera and quite a few have been uploaded to my Facebook page so that I can share them with friends, near and far.

An uploaded photo to Facebook...to be shared only with "friends"

I read a news report yesterday  in the West Australian newspaper, and quoting The Telegraph. about the sister of Facebook chief, Mark Zuckerberg,  Randi, being tripped up by the company’s privacy setting.  According to Associated Press, a picture that Randi posted on her personal Facebook profile was seen by a marketing director who then posted the picture to Twitter and her more than 40,000 followers.

Randi then tweeted that the picture was meant for friends only and that posting the private picture on Twitter was “way uncool”:  The marketing director replied by saying the picture popped up on her Facebook news feed.

I always ask permission before taking a photo...a small shop in central Java (photo LP)

 Ms Zuckerberg then eventually realised that the marketing director was able to see the picture because they had a mutual friend. She went on to write about online sharing etiquette, posting on Twitter:  “Digital etiquette:  always ask permission before posting a friend’s photo publicity.  It’s not about privacy settings, it’s about human decency”.

Image from Clipart Images
.
Her comments apparently sparked sharp reactions from people who thought the issue wasn’t about etiquette but rather Facebook’s often changing and often confusing privacy settings.

We have often seen in the media and online, photos taken on smartphones which often represent a gross invasion of privacy.  And this is not just about celebrities…it is about all of us who find ourselves captured on phone cameras, whether we know it and whether we like it or not. In this digital age, we usually don’t mind if we are on the edge of some stranger’s photograph at a party, social event, or restaurant.  None of us has a copyright on our own image.

But there can be a darker side to phone cameras, with the bullying of schoolchildren, regularly reported;   Facebook “friends” posting pictures of their drunken friends for the world to see.  In this holiday season, a lot of people will be hoping that they are not tagged on Facebook sites by that one night “friend” they had a drink too many with. And what about the romantic night which went sour; were intimate photos taken which could be passed around to people you have never met?


Stall holders preparing for market, again permission to photograph requested. Central Java (photo LP)

Requesting  permission to "tag" should be understood as appropriate digital etiquette. We should not have to rely on a third party, such as Facebook, to indicate, through our privacy settings, when we have been tagged...friendship and respect should suggest, in my opinion, such a request

A batik painter, happy to be photographed, Central Java (photo LP)

I believe there is not a law, at present, to protect our privacy from phone cameras; but I believe a new mode of internet manners and social mores must emerge, when the freedom to take and publish pictures of social gatherings isn’t blithely assumed, just because it is possible...and increasingly seen as 'normal'. 

Having respect for others is a major component in choosing to be well mannered.  And right now we need a code of digital etiquette  so that we are not finding ourselves always on our guard in the way that celebrity figures have to contend with the paparazzi. 

Comments

  1. Posting the picture of another without permission is about human decency, but many people probably don't understand exactly why. Netiquette is a better word choice in my humble opinion. Internet ethics requires doing what is right without regard for what is possible. It is possible to save pictures of others that appear on the internet and repost them. It is unethical to do this without permission. Ethics are the laws of human decency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, welcome and thank you for your comment. I completely agree with you...yes, Netiquette has been around for some years as a term for a code of appropriate internet behaviour.I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent