Skip to main content

Swearing and Manners...or Not...

                                                       (Photo: www.news.com.au)

My mobile phone rang at 6.40 this morning...early in anyone’s language, particularly in the dark of the almost shortest day in winter. It was Ryan, the producer from the Breakfast Show on Radio 6PR in Perth, wanting to know if I had heard the news that the Queensland government is going to legislate for the police to be able to present a $100 on-the-spot fine to anyone swearing in public, and particularly at members of the police force. And even if I hadn’t read the news, would I please comment on air at 7.10?

I really enjoy the opportunity to chat on radio so I immediately dashed to the computer to read the
“breaking news” story.

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland-police-win-new-powers-to-fine-for-public-nuisance-offences/story-e6frfkvr-1225880162115

Certainly there is a lack of respect for authoritarian figures in today’s Australia – and for that matter, in yesterday’s Australia. From “copper bashing” to “pollie bashing”, there is a general and widespread lack of manners. And it seems to involve all generations.

But do we need to be fined for swearing, generally, in public? Even Princess Manners has been known to let a colourful expletive escape at times such as dropping a whole fish on the kitchen floor, and certainly when her finger was slammed in her car door.

And which expletives are we allowed to use? When I was a child the word bloody was a “swear word” and resulted in very firm reprimand from my father, The Admiral. These days the vernacular bugger is used in television advertisements. And sh*t is so common we can even hear it being used by polite little old ladies when they open their car doors against the side of another car in a crowded carpark.

One unfortunate Perth reporter was caught out last week dropping the “F Word” when her live cross appeared to be...well, lost. Yes, it was reported, but if it had occurred, following legislation in Queenland and a policeman was nearby, she could conceivably have been fined.

I do hope that our politicians do not let a Swear Word slip when they still have a live microphone attached. Apparently the Prime Minister is not adverse to saying  Sh*t and the "F Word" on occasion. Lucky for him he is surrounded by the Australian Federal Police and not the Queensland Police!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_9P0VDnMPM

So I chatted with the radio presenters for a few minutes and gave my advice for those who wish to avoid a police fine.  If you feel a need to vent with a swear word, try merde and hope the nearby policeman doesn’t speak French.

Comments

  1. Funny and pertinent questions. "Where the bloody hell are you?" was, as far as I remember, a major advertisement campaign's message. Good, at last a country where we can swear in peace, thought the potential tourist. Well, now, he will not dare to go to Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damo, thank you for your comment. Hopefully, the "nanny state" mentality of Queensland will not infiltrate all of this beautiful, vast land and tourists will continue to visit and utter the occasional "merde" perhaps....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent