Skip to main content

Christmas, Families....and Manners


Ruby guarding the Christmas tree

My phone has been ringing with people wanting to know how to handle the difficulties that arise during occasions such as Christmas with “blended” families. The old adage that you can choose your friends but not your family is often relevant at Christmas, and particularly with families which have divorced and perhaps remarried partners. Unfortunately there are very few happy melded families like “The Brady Bunch”...at least initially.

If having good manners is about behaving well around other people and treating each other with respect, then at times of probable stress and possibly strife, the need to be even more cautious with words and actions is really important.

My children’s father and I have been divorced for many years. But over the years we have developed strategies to make our shared Christmases with our children and our new partners as pleasant as possible. We have always attended Christmas church services together, and afterwards had a glass of champagne and the opening of gifts. And then we have gone our separate ways with the children going with one or the other for a period. And most of the time it has worked without tears.


Decorations all ready for Christmas Day

I have found that it is sensible to have a predetermined plan and timetable in place and have the children well informed about what to expect, whom they will be meeting etc. And as parents we need to be alert for sad eyes and downturned mouths....and remember that the spirit of Christmas is all about the fantasy, festivities and friendship of the season.

And so this year is no different. Our adult children will join us from around the country, our Christmas Day will be divided after Church but we will all get together later for seafood, good wine, hugs and fond thoughts of those with whom we would also like to be sharing Christmas Day.


Table laid ready for Christmas Day

May I wish you Seasons Greetings and a safe and happy time with your families and friends.

Comments

  1. Hi Louise, I've missed your blog posts. Moreover, your posts no longer automatically appear in my reading list when you have posted. Maybe it has something to do with you switching to G+? :) It's lovely to read you again and I'm in awe with the transformations you've done to your home. I hope you are well, and wish you a wonderful Christmas Eve and a Very Merry Christmas. Hope we can stay in touch in the New Year! Martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Louise, thank you so much for dropping in to my blog. I can relate to your post above very well. My sister and her husband divorced over ten years ago now and they have managed to keep things tres civilized (with the occasional blip), for the sake of the children mostly but when you think that they spent 24 years together it would have been very sad if it had all been for nothing oui!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour Gracie...thanks for your comment...from another Francophile who lives in Perth!
    Yes, there are always blips along the way, but it is so rewarding to hear my children, now adults, say to their friends whose parents have had problems that Jim and I made the right choices for them...your blog is great...you show our city in a wonderful light! Merci beaucoup, amicalement, Louise

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent